FuschiaReads.

....and sometimes watches.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

In Ya Face, Harry




http://www.smh.com.au/news/books/before-harry-potter-there-was---/2006/01/02/1136050375705.html


This woman rocks. Without a doubt.

I was given 'Wizard of Earthsea' in yr 7 english and had to read the first chapter by the end of a fortnight. I read the whole book in a night. "Tehanu" makes me cry - everytime.

'Left Hand of Darkness' is THE book quoted against the tsunami of 12-volume-1000-pages-each-epic-sagas.

There is only economy and tight storytelling in all of her writing - she lets her characters speak first and foremost and NEVER attempts to shift the focus onto the author and the misplaced sense of authorial cleverness

People like K.Dick and Heinlein should clean her shoes and bake her nice cakes.

Thats it! - now I have drunk the last of the christmas alcohol I have come to my senses - that Gene Wolfe collection of short stories - 'innocents abroad' is weird and stupid and I don't want to finish it. I am starting the earthsea trilogy again tonight. YAY!

Comments:

you were given Wizards as an English text? lucky you! I have no idea why mum bought the series but she gave me the first three when I was.... mmmmm... I think it was 5th grade so maybe 10 or 11? it was late primary.

poor little books are fading just like my Dark is Rising boxed set. they have great covers though. better than the sh*t modern ones.

# posted by Blogger worldpeace and a speedboat : 12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger