FuschiaReads.

....and sometimes watches.

Monday, January 02, 2006

The Eyre Affair


Jasper Fforde Hodder PB 2001 373pp

“My father had a face that could stop a clock”

A book for a Christmas present, a dying breed it would seem in the brave new world of DVD. I only received 4 books this year and this the only fictional work (although the jury is still out on that book on the Templers).


I finished this on the train home from Sydney last Thursday (ironic really) –but ahhh public transport – the only time I can read without the pressing guilt of chores awaiting.


Our heroine Thursday Next lives in a wonderful parallel universe. Instead of foolish sport arousing the passions of the masses, it is abstract expressionism vs. the pre-Raphaelites, Keats vs. Milton. I want to live here.

Young Thursday works as a LiteraTec, investigating hoaxes and frauds of the literary kind. Acheron Hades is her time-shifting arch-nemesis and Landon Parke-Laine her lost love. She also has a mad professor uncle who invents a machine that allows characters in and out of novels – which is cool as we get to met Edward Rochester. Its written in that fast-paced jokey noir style – so KissKissBangBang and is very clever in parts. I am assured by the giver/s that this is the best of the series – yes, my friends Thursday’s adventures continue. It is very cute.
Enjoy


Comments:

This book was a brilliant.

I loved the concept of Richard III being the equivalent of the Rocky Horror friday night cult event.

I also love Pickwick.

The rest of the series doesn't keep up quite the same pace, but are still very good reads.

# posted by Blogger Mousicles : 11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger