FuschiaReads.

....and sometimes watches.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Earthsea Quartet


Ursula Le Guin
1993 Puffin books 691pp

The Wizard of Earthsea 1968
“The island of Gont, a single mountain that lifts its peak a mile above the storm-racked Northeast sea, is a land famous for wizards.”


The Tombs of Atuan 1970
“ ‘Come home, Tenar! Come home!’ “

The Furthest Shore 1972
“In the court of the Fountain, the sun of March shone through young leaves of ash and elm, and water leapt and fell through shadows and clear light.”

Tehanu 2000
“After Farmer Flint of the Middle Valley had died, his widow stayed on at the farmhouse.”

This is a wonderful series of books and the 20 year gap brings not only a real development of character for Ged our hero, but in the writing style of Miss LeGuin. The first books are beautifully written, full of compact description and heroic legends. As the series continues, as the author’s skills grow her focus narrows. The last book ‘Tehanu’ whilst there are dragons and kings, is really about family and love and acceptance and both the evil and good in the world are seen on a more personal level. “Tehanu’ is definitely my favourite book, I love both Ged and Tenar as characters and I cried again last night reading this story. It is soo well written, her descriptions take my breath away.

I can’t convey this properly as I don’t seem to be able to write very well anymore. It feels as though I can’t express what is in my head properly. Too long away from conversations I guess, I even had trouble talking to people face to face in Sydney last week. All my words stumbling and unfunny.

So you will have to trust me and read these books. Don’t be fooled into thinking they are for children, that would be like thinking ‘harry potter’ is for grownups. These books are increasingly sophisticated in theme and ‘tehanu’ has much of what would be called ‘adult concepts’. There are certainly sections I would have to edit out if I read to my children. There are two more books after this that I am keen to find. Anyone out there with a copy?

So very very beautiful.

Comments:

The Tombs of Atuan and Tenhau are my favourite.
Tombs - oppressive and dark, really feel like you are down there with him.
Tenhau- when he has no power and finds her again...ohh i cried.
We have the last book somewhere, will hunt it out for ya.
We will have to finishing watching the TV show as lame as it looked, though Brother Cadfael is always a great option.

# posted by Blogger Cozalcoatl : 10:48 AM  

I thought the last book was more of a collection of stories about the Earthsea world? I don't know, I haven't read it...

love Tombs first, then Tehanu. Tombs is the most beautiful and understated love story in the history of *ever*... Tehanu continues it. reading Tombs at a tender age meant romance novels are impossible to read...

loved Other Wind but not as much as the two above. it was beautiful though. very powerful.

Cozzie, you have Other Wind, don't you? I'm sure I gave your copy back because mum bought me one. I need to reread it at any rate, it's not sticking in my head like the others do.

found Wizard wonderful but Farthest Shore strangely unmoving. I mean, great read, but didn't affect me as much as any of the others.

# posted by Blogger worldpeace and a speedboat : 11:54 PM  

Ooohh... love, love love these books. Discovered Tehanu last year and reread the original series first just to give it the right brainspace. Wonderful!

I adore Harry, but Ursula is definitely the goddess of wizards.

# posted by Blogger Ampersand Duck : 12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger