FuschiaReads.

....and sometimes watches.

Friday, December 30, 2005

Things I Did on My Holidays Part 1

Christmas is A Hoot! What can I say.
They came, we ate, we drank, we slept.
Then the cool bit - my darling children visit their Dad (bless his cotton socks) for a couple of days and I can go to Sydney to shop.

Stuff I Do When I Don't Have To Do Laundry (In no particular order)

1. World of Warcraft
This comes under the heading of 'FuschiaWatches'. Watch my character fall off the jetty AGAIN
into the deep water 'cause the whole right/left mouse button thing is beyond me. Watch for my partner Chardo disappear over the hill to the next adventure while I am still trying to loot a body. Watch me try to cast 'heal' only to Watch us all die 'cause I was casting 'wrath' instead (well, they should make fighting spells RED icons, its only confusing!) But I am a bear now so that is kind of cool. It is a pretty game and I can see why it is so playable for 37 days straight.
But the fighting spells should be red.

2. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Coz and I saw this because the cinema was airconditioned. And it was on in 5 minutes. And we had heard it was good. And it was not 'Cheaper by the Dozen 2'.
It is a hoot. You - all of you but no children - should go an see it cause it is soooo very wrong and yet funny and so very very wrong and yet sooo very funny. Robert 'he's-so-sute-when-not-in-rehab' Downey Jnr and Val Kilmer take on Hollywood and bad guys and a dog and car chases and pretty girls and electrocution and all that cool raymond-chandler noirish patter with a cool narration and snappy dialogue and much general cleverness.
My newly reawakened feeling for Robert are nw being
tested but its still almost Christmas, so I will be kind and wait.

3. Kinokuniya
It appears that many of you don't know this shop. It God has put me on this earth for a reason (apart from letting you know that your shirt REALLY doesn't match those jeans) it is to bring news of good bookshops to the masses. (my purpose also apparently involves Hello Kitty, but I have to find out the tax implications of non-profit-startup-religions before I can reveal my plans there).
This my friends, is not a good bookshop. It is THE bookshop. All other bookshops bow before it, they go there thinking they are so smart because they actually stock a couple of Austens and a Waugh biography in the bargain bin, but step through the doors and all pretensions are quickly stripped away before the bibliotechnical greatness that is this store. Yes, you are just a franchise, now go away and let me browse in peace.
Or as Coz and I did - with much noise and merriment.
I bought a couple of magazines - that I can't show you as my scanner is not working and this kitty cataloguue - there was actually a choice of issues - my god I am in heaven. There are many japanese books and magazines but mostly english and just every topic - all the dover books etc, and as we discovered halve the price of those other stores.
And as we we leaving 2 buddhist monks where up to $388 at the register, so I think you should all go there.

3.
Black Books
This was a christmas gift but I watched it when I got home from sydney yesterday. It still comes under the heading on 'no children' so I can put it here. Ahhh, just me and Mr Strongbow. And the
christmas chocolate I hid so there would be post-christmas chocolate.
This british tv series (of which I now have the WHOLE series) involves dysfunctional characters AND a book shop. For anyone who has ever had the slightest amount of retail/customer contact will also find it very wonderful. It is full of such clever dialogue and such cringeworthy situations. I watched 4 episodes in a row and felt a much better person afterwards.

4. Avalon
I went to the video store when I got home and borrowed lots of MA rated movies 'cause I generally am unable to. After the sillyness of BlackBooks, I thought I would watch this as it promised VR wargames and a futuristic setting.
What is delivers is an ABSOLUTELY gorgeous look and visual effects and the lamest story line in the world. Play it at a party with the sound down (it had subtitles anyway) 'cause it does look great but really has a silly plot. I would like the words 'PACE and JEOPARDY' tattoed into the foreheads of the makers, please.
And anyway, I thought the big VR game looked abit dull- and you couldn't be an elf.
5. Anazapta
Mmmmm, this was actaully kind of cool and I think that the look of the time was quite accurate. No posh Keira Knightleys just coming back from the posh french finishing school in time to be captured by clean King Arthur here. Or the amazingly unspotted Tristan and Isolde.
The title is abit silly but the story certainly rollicks along in this tale of icky people who come to icky ends and revenge and something that could be mistaken (quite easily) for love and there is much gore and spookiness along the way. A good video night in story - but not for the little'es.

6. Party
Now, I don't do many of these anymore, what with my advanced years and the trouble my walker makes on polished floor boards, but the lovely Zoe was in town and it was great to meet her. My memories of the night after the wonderful dinner are a bit blurry, I think it was all that shopping in the extreme Sydney heat that has clouded my memories.
But I seem to recall we played cribbage and 'the minister's cat' and discussed eloquently and sanely the current sorry state of the UN and there may have been some quiet background music and much patient tolerance of the variations of musical taste the makes the world such an interesting place to be in. There may also have been some sedate dancing of the type usually found in a fred astaire movie.
Now, these are my memories - so I am sure you are as confused as I by the photo's I found on my camera - perhaps it was stolen while I was in the Elegant Gothic Lolita shop just off George STr. There are many other photos - most to blurry to accurately ID the cast members. So I shall save those. For another dayt.

What a wonderful time to be alive


Comments:

It wasn't me. It was my brain.

# posted by Blogger Cozalcoatl : 12:35 AM  

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » » »

# posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger