FuschiaReads.

....and sometimes watches.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

NORTH AND SOUTH


Elizabath Gaskell
Penguin 1855 This Ed-2003 PB 450pp with lots of notes

“ ’Edith!’ said Margaret gently, ‘Edith!’ “

I read this book a few weeks ago but have been slack and full of real life and spending a lot of work computer time which makes play computer time less appealing. Maybe I was just sulking because I cannot play ‘World of Warcraft’ online. That’s it – all apologies done. And I’ve read more books that I thought I did in the last month. Sorry again

I read this book last year and loved it – when the series was the AB C I discovered my own copy was in a box (a fate too familiar for so many of my books) and that I was unable to reread it. I had the most amazing run of people ringing me on Sunday evenings and so was able to only SEE not Hear the vast majority of the series. Luckily Penguin have done a re-release and despite a rather aggressively critical introduction - I can say that the story is very close to the TV show and Well Worth The Read. Besides Richard Armitage as John Thornton was To Die For and gives ol’ Darcy a serious run for his money.

Our Heroine – Margaret (who is very lovely and brave)– having a father who undergoes one of those religious crises that are so hard for me to understand – moves from the long standing and most beloved rectory in the South (Cue light saturation and lots of roses) to the North (Cue cold grey light and TB). She finds herself out of her ‘class’ and out of her depth socially and emotionally as there is much injustice, many Dickensian deaths and new political ideas to face. And the very Lovely John (sigh) Thornton to be so confusing what with his dark good looks and ardent longings.

It is very interesting to see that while some things have changed in 150 years – the standing of women (maybe) – there is much conversation about workers vs employers that is soo very relevant today. The power of money, the abuse of those who create the wealth but do not own the machinery, the rights of the worker to safety and security etc, the responsibility of the factory owner to his shareholder over his employee – these are all questions that are examined in great detail in this book – and that no answer is provided should not be so surprising – as we have no answer to this day. Better political bloggers that I have raised these issues, and it seems we have made no head way at all in finding solutions even part way – the poverty and pain have just moved continents.

Its great. Read It.

Comments:

Excellent, love it!
Ipod car mp3 player Land rover enthusiast Croatian tennis professionals

# posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger