FuschiaReads.

....and sometimes watches.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

CULÚA


Samantha Wood Bantam 2003 SC 305pp

“Seven years ago I made a decision that would change my life, although I didn’t know it at the time”

This book is a true story of Melbourne-born Samantha whose dad is English and Mother Mexican, returning to Mexico to discover her roots, met family, learn the language etc etc.

I read it as my sister was not long back from Mexico and I am keen on that whole pre-hispanic historical thing. It starts off slowly - Samantha is at first horrified by the noise/dirt/poverty of Mexico City and it is not until a second visit a year later that she starts to see past of all that to the culture/food etc. The writing is not always the smoothest - she is no Bill Bryson - but by the end of the book I was really enjoying it. Worth a read if you are going there. As a bonus there are some recipes in the back. Here is my favorite

"Mojitos"

12 fresh spearmint leaves
1/2 lime, juiced
l teaspoon sugar
45ml rum
soda water

Before placing mint leaves in a glass, crush the stems with a teaspoon to release the flavour. completely cover with lime and sugar before adding rum and soda water. Stir well and serve with a garnish of lime.


Comments:

Oh, my favorite cocktail! I've never bothered with the soda water, but maybe that would make the experience (and consciousness) last longer...

# posted by Blogger Ampersand Duck : 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger