FuschiaReads.

....and sometimes watches.

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Notes fron A Small Island

Bill Bryson
1996 Cox&Wynam 352pp SC

"My first sight of England was on a foggy March night in 1973 when I arrived on the midnight ferry from Calais."

This is one funny book. This is one funny man.

I started this on Thurs night after a phone call to friend that ended at about 10pm. 'Mmm, not quite tired yet" and as I am in that delightful situation at the moment of being in a SURFEIT of unread books to read (God bless the Salvo's and their 10c book sale!), I thought a chapter of Bill will be a nice nightcap.

Warning - don't fall into the same trap as I did. This is one of those books where I kept thinking 'oh just one more chapter' - this at say Chapter 9 - I would then look up and notice Chapter 12 and think 'oh just one more chapter' and then I would then look up and notice Chapter 15 and think 'oh just one more chapter' and then....

After nearly 20 years in Britain, Bill and his family are moving back to the States, and he is taking one last nostalgic trip around this 'small island'. He comments on all and everything with that wonderful mix of fact (lots of mad Englishman, mad I tell you mad!!) and humour and keen observation of the more ridiculous vagueries of human nature. I laughed out loud about every second page and read aloud many chapters to a friend visiting from Sydney. "Yes, yes, carn the mighty Tigers. Whatever! Listen to This.....!!!!!!!"

I have read his book on Australia and the smaller tome on Africa and even tho' I have not been to Britian this really is a wonderful read.

I would reprint humourous sections here but there is lots of rude words and it would be a shame to dilute it.

Just read it!

Comments:

I love Bill.
"Down Under" his book on Oz is awesome. There is a scene where he is in Canberra, couldn't find a pub so getting hammered in hotel.
His logos for the place "Canberra- gateway to somewhere else" and "Canberra- a great place to die"

# posted by Blogger Cozalcoatl : 9:50 PM  

My favorite bit so far of Bill on Oz (only get to read it at friends' places until I can scam my own copy) is the fact that he emphasizes how utterly unforgettable John Howard is by forgetting his name in the first chapter.

That's my kind of man.

# posted by Blogger Ampersand Duck : 7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger