FuschiaReads.

....and sometimes watches.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The Liar

Stephen Fry
Heinemann Ltd 1991 277pp HB


"A Fame t-shirt stopped otside the house where Mozart was born."

The only thing I am glad of regarding this novel is that it is not my first introduction to Stephen Fry. I am so glad of Blackadders Melchett, Lord Snot in the Young Ones, the look on his sweet faced when Emma Thompson pleaded with him to ‘fill her with little babies. If I had only ever read this book, I would have the impression that Mr Fry is, if you will excuse the expression (and you’ll have to as I am going to use it lots) a complete tosser.

I hope the autobiographical feeling of this book is fake, as that would in fact make Mr Fry a complete tosser. That’s what his ‘hero’ Adrian does. Spanking the monkey, spasms of pleasure, Milk Shake Clubs, rent boys,etc etc. It seems all a good english Public School education teaches you.

“…I never really wanted to be a train driver, you know. I mean, they told me while at school, if I got two CSEs, when I left school I'd be head of British Steel. That's a lot of nonsense, ennit? I mean, you look at statistics, right. 83% of top British management have been to a public school and Oxbridge, right? 93% of the BBC have been to a public school and Oxbridge, right? 98% of the KGB have been to a public school and Oxbridge. All you get from a public school, right -- one, you get a top job, right, and two, you get an interest in perverse sexual practices. I mean, that's why British management's so inefficient. As soon as they get in the boardroom, they're all shutting each others' dicks in the door! "Go on, give it another slam, Sir Michael!" BAM! OW OW OW! "Come on, Sir Geoffrey, let's play the Panzer commander and the millkmaid, EW EW EW EW! YOO HOO!"…”

Alexei Sayle ‘Bambi’ The Young Ones

Dormitories of young spunky (sorry!) boy flesh doing that gross soggy biscuit routine. By Chapter 2 all I could think was ‘too much information’. It was like a mantra I had to repeat so I would not be able to remember too much else of the text. It stood me in good stead until page 160 when I just gave up.

There is lots of witty dialogue but Adrian is such a complete wanker - even when he go to univeristy - that the effect is more laboured than humorous. There also seems to be some kind on spy plot but once again I stopt reading before it really developed.

Lets all be glad Mr Fry didn’t give up his day job.


Comments:

* Major snaps in a zigzag pattern indicating approval of Bambi reference *

Apparently, large chunks of The Liar are autobiographical. Stephen Fry is a tosspot. However, he is also, generally, a witty and polymathic tosspot, so cut the fucked up brother from another mother some slack.

This is a genuine comment, BTW. Got here via the Crazy & Brave lady, though Miss Floppy gave you a nepotistic thumbs up earlier. [Caution, kids: nepotism begins at home!]. The Young Ones reference pushed me over the line. Keep it coming.

# posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:03 AM  

I'm surprised, because I think Stephen Fry usually delivers. It's an overload of his voice that I have ongoing problems with, but that's a whole other story.

Mind you, I did get an alarm bell from the title of his actual autobiography, Moab is my Washpot... doesn't really draw you in, does it? it's an account of his schooldays, and while there is mention of Mrs Palmer and her five daughters, it doesn't get as obsessive as this novel obviously does. The biog is a good account of how english schools stuff you up. Maybe the novel was a bit of therapy. This is a man, after all, who by his own admission has had very little sex apart from his own hand, and none at all before the age of 30, if my memory serves me correctly.

Thanks for the warning. Try Paperweight instead; it's not a novel or a biog, but SF's essays on culture, and they're much more rewarding!

# posted by Blogger Ampersand Duck : 12:09 PM  

You're a *real* blog now, Fuschia. Fyodor has visited.

# posted by Blogger Amanda : 3:13 PM  

I started reading "The Hippopotumus" ages ago . It was like an angrier Ben Elton but missing the comic mark. Shame really. I didn't finish it.
I still love Melchett with his dicky heart and wooden bladder....

# posted by Blogger Cozalcoatl : 6:27 PM  

Thanks all - I am very deeply touched!
I just have to say tho' that I did cut Mr Fry some slack - after all, I did read more than a hundred pages. I shall take this book as therapy - one of those drunken confessional type therapy sessions, when in the clear hard light of morning we can all pretend not to remember any of it. Will read other of his works if available, Will continue to love his acting. After all, what else are friends for!?

# posted by Blogger FuschiaReads : 1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger