FuschiaReads.

....and sometimes watches.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Blake's 7 - Afterlife

Tony Attwood
Target Books 1984 217pp SC

"In the beginning there were six men and women."


I actually finished this on Sunday - but pesky real-life socalising has delayed this posting.
My verdict - walk away quickly and keep the dream alive.

"The ending was the worst part?!!What about the fracking start?!! You know, the part where they get around that inconvenient piece of plotting involving the DEATH of the entire Scorpio crew [N.B. anorak-wearers: I know we don't see Avon die. Don't even start that #$%^^##$%^ with me] at the end of the TV series. Sheesh, this #$^#%^# makes my blood boil. I shall avoid these books like leprosy, or #$%^^% music."
A more direct gentleman than me tells it like it actually is - I try to see the sunny side of life but really this is the more accurate 20/8/05

This is set after the end of the series. Avon (sigh) and Vila have survived the final, fatal shootout and imbark on a cliche-ridden galactic journey with Korell - attractive blonde double agent type. Avon has some kind of plan to get ORAC back and other stuff happens and not much makes sense. My favorite bit was Servalan's use of black holes - going through one into an alternate universe, building machines & weapons there and then coming back and selling them to the Federation. You see - because these items were built in an alternate universe their molecular structure breaks down in a month or two in THIS universe, which means Servalan can get on with her plan of complete domination- no one can resist her armed takeover - You see.
It all makes thatmuch sense.
Tarrant (Boo!Hiss!) makes a brief and confusing appearance before being eaten by a snow tiger and I guess you sort of find out why Avon kills Blake, but once again its all abit silly and cliched.
The ending Makes No Sense at all - I read the last line and then my eyes kept looking for the non-existant text on the rest of the blank page. An epilogue? No - nothing, maybe they thought there would be an enormous franchise of novels - ala Star Trek.
What Guff I tell you! What Guff!

Comments:

The ending was the worst part?!!What about the fracking start?!! You know, the part where they get around that inconvenient piece of plotting involving the DEATH of the entire Scorpio crew [N.B. anorak-wearers: I know we don't see Avon die. Don't even start that shit with me] at the end of the TV series. Sheesh, this shit makes my blood boil. I shall avoid these books like leprosy, or C&W music.

# posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 10:36 AM  

What a nice day off, reading your blog and playing Kingdom of Loathing at the same time, so multi-skilled, big sci-fi fan as I am Blake's Seven never made any sense to me then or now, so cannot comment on this one, keep reading Cadfael tho, think coz has a few!!!

# posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 12:31 PM  

any omin us was supposed to have a name

# posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 12:32 PM  

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP Digital ccd camera

# posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 6:57 AM  

I enjoyed reading Afterlife, Avon's character was always the most interesting to me, and this book was full of Avon. It may not be perfect, but I sure enjoyed it and like usual was left wanting more.

# posted by Anonymous Craig Brown : 10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger